Buttermilk Belgian Waffles for Two
This is a great basic recipe for waffle batter. You can stir all sorts of ingredients, like dried blueberries or cranberries, flaked coconut, and toasted pecans.
- 1 cup Bisquick® Heart Smart Baking Mix
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute or beaten egg
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/8 cup dried blueberries or cranberries OR
- 2 tablespoons shredded dried coconut + 2 tablespoons toasted pecan pieces OR
- 2 tablespoons mini semisweet chocolate chips OR
- 1/8 cup raisins soaked overnight in 2 tablespoons dark rum (drain raisins well before adding to waffle mix)
- Start preheating a Belgian waffle iron.
- Add baking mix, canola oil, egg mixture, and buttermilk to a small mixing bowl and beat on low or stir by hand until blended. Add stir-ins now, if desired.
- When the waffle iron is ready, give it a quick spray with canola cooking spray and pour half the batter onto the center of the iron. Close lid and cook according to manufacturers instructions (about 3 minutes or until steaming stops). Remove waffle and repeat with remaining waffle batter.
2 Belgian waffles (each round waffle is about 7 inches in diameter)
Per waffle (using egg substitute): 295 calories, 10 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 760 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 27%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
IMAGES PROVIDED BY: