Patient Comments: Trisomy 18 - Testing

Have you had an AFP or ultrasound that tested positive for trisomy 18? Please share your experience.

Comment from: makeuadress, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 17

I have a son who is 23 years old. In 1990, he was diagnosed with partial trisomy 18.He has a translocation with his first chromosome. He has a VSD, seizures, and failure to thrive syndrome. He requires total care and is unable to walk, talk, or sit without assistance. But he is a very happy child. I allowed him to attend public school, and he graduated from high school in 2012. There is not a lot he can do, but we have always taken care of him. His food has to be finely chopped and sometimes pureed. He weighs 25 pounds and is a little over 3 feet tall. But he is the joy of our life. I didn't know he had the problem until after he was born. Doctors told me he might live three months. But we have done everything in our power to keep him well and to make his life fulfilling.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: erika rodriguez, Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

Last month I lost my baby. He has trisomy 18. The doctor did an ultrasound and discovered it. I still do not understand why this happened to me and my husband.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Trisomy 18 - Experience Question: Please share your experience with trisomy 18.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.