Patient Comments: Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Thyroid Disease.

Comment from: nursemom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 08

I have a kindergarten age grandson with very strong body odor, decreased mental alertness, big and tall for his age (not fat at all). He can't seem to get enough to eat and will even eat food from the floor. He is incontinent of bowel and bladder when he sleeps. This child will do things when told only one time and is very smart. He's not hyperactive at all. Thyroid disorders run in my family.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Suny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I often complained of being tired and cold, but my doctor could not find my problem until I found out that hypothyroid problems run in my family. I was tested and found my TSH was extremely high. I was put on medication until my basil body temperature was normal. When I was forced to change doctors my new doctor did not go by basal body temp. He only went by the TSH results and lowered my meds three times. I still feel OK except I am extremely cold now and my hands often turn blue and some of my fingers turn white and hurt. I have complained of being cold, but my doc said my TSH is in the normal range.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Thyroid Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your thyroid disease?
Thyroid Disease - Diagnosis Question: How was your thyroid disease diagnosed?
Thyroid Disease - Treatment Question: What type of thyroid disease do you have and what was the treatment?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.