Poison Ivy (cont.)

Medical Author:
Medical Editor:

What should people do if they are exposed to a poisonous plant?

If you think you may have been exposed to poison ivy, wash the skin with cool water as soon as possible. This is often not practical because it must be done immediately to have an effect. After half an hour, however, this is no longer likely to prevent the reaction. As discussed above, washing pets and clothing may also be of limited help. It is important to remove and wash your clothes as well as to wash any gardening equipment, tools, or other items that may have come into contact with the plants.

Medically reviewed by Donald Lee, DO; Board Certified Family Practice

REFERENCE:

Stephanides, Steven L., and Chris Moore. "Plant Poisoning, Toxicodendron." eMedicine.com. Aug. 18, 2009. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/817671-overview>.


Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/5/2014

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Poison Ivy - Signs and Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience from poison ivy, poison oak and, poison sumac.
Poison Ivy - Treatment Question: What treatment did you receive for poison ivy, oak, or sumac?