Patient Comments: Child Abuse - Experience

Were you or someone you know a victim of child abuse? Please share your story.

Comment from: slovelee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have experienced the separation between my parents. I followed my mother, who went to live with another guy. We were away, leaving my dad and my brother. While I was there, I had to be alone while my mother and her boyfriend went on a trip. I spent a sleepless night all alone, and then woke up to go to school and take a bus that took 3 to 4 hours. I usually fell asleep in my classes and my peers bullied me around. I started using drugs and alcohol. One day, I came home and the door lock had been changed by my mom's boyfriend. My mom and I became furious, broke into the house, took everything, and ran away. We were almost arrested by cops, and ended up giving everything up. We have moved back in with my dad, who I have been avoiding for a long time. We seem to be doing a lot better now, but sometimes the scars within me drive me out of control. I've started smoking, taking drugs, drinking alcohol, and am suffering from depression. Always relying on a guy makes you suffer from anxiety.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Child Abuse - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including counseling, did you or someone you know receive to deal with being abused as a child?
Child Abuse - Prevention Question: Please share ways you have tried to prevent child abuse in your family or community.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.